This article is part of a series where we discuss good places to find miniatures for your Gamma World PC. For the rest of the series, check out the “Article Series” link above. As always, if you are unsure about a mini’s size, check with the manufacturer.
If you read the Famine in Far-Go Gamma World sourcebook, it describes your alien appearance as being informed by your other origin. And that’s fine, as far as it goes, but what if you want to look like the “classic” alien? Or what if your other origin is “non-descript” like mind bender? The trouble with finding alien minis isn’t their scarcity, because they’re not. The biggest problem is scale. Most Sci-Fi miniatures games are generally played in 15mm scale, which is far too small for a 25mm game (contrary to some of the suggestions I may or may not have made earlier in this series). The other problem stems from the fact that aliens don’t have a “standard” appearance, especially in science fiction. They could be anything that looks… well, alien. All that to say, what follows is my best guess to what you might want for an alien mini.
Duros Explorer, Rodian Scoundrel, Trandoshan Mercenary, Bith Black Sun Vigo, Djas Puhr, Rodian Hunt Master, Arcona Smuggler, Varactyl Wrangler, Neimoidan Soldier, Nautolan Soldier - Star Wars Miniatures Oh man, there’s a lot here. Certainly more than I have listed. I didn’t sift through every single Star Wars mini, but if you want to sift through them yourself to find the perfect one for your PC, start here, and select any of the categories that have the word “singles” at the end. You could also try searching by race. For example, if you like the look of a Trandoshian, but not the specific mercenary mini I have listed, you should try searching “Trandoshian.”
- Bug Eyed Martians – Eureka Miniatures
- Alien Overlord Boss, Alien Overlord, Alien Overlord with tracker, Gray Aliens, Alien Oppressor - Reaper Miniatures
- Eldar – Games Workshop
- Host Alpha Shocktroops, Guildspeaker Nalan – Old Glory Miniatures I personally wouldn’t have used the colors they used to paint these – different colors would make them look more “alien” I think.
- Female Grey, Kiergi, Kiergi 2, Stalks, Mesaan Grunts - Hasslefree Miniatures
- Aliens – Fenryll Miniatures About 1/3 of the way down, on the right. Can’t tell if these are 15mm or not, though I’m guessing not because they look as though they’re supposed to be “proxies” for WH40k minis.
- Aliens & Spacemen Line – Old Glory Miniatures There are several sets of miniatures in this line that would work well. Be sure to click through all the pages to see the Flying Saucers at the end! (Especially if you haven’t played Legion of Gold yet.)
- Space Aliens – Hydra Miniatures I think the Slishian would make good Octopoid/Alien or Gelatinous/Alien.
That’s about it for this installment. Catch us next time, when hopefully we’ll have a longer list!